Subject: [Leica] Leica, Nikon, Fuji
From: davidhhching at yahoo.com.sg (David Ching)
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 23:48:25 +0700

To cut the long story short; Someone once said to the effect that if you
compromise, you end up buying what you originally thought you like but
thought could do without and bought an inferior substitute. Which
essentially meant to me at least, scrimping the wrong way in some ways.

But the positive side is that I have more choices. Everyone does nowadays.
Just need to save the pennies.

After reading so much about the right lug issue as well as rumours about
some possibility of sensor or body production problems, may delay my
purchase of the M240.

The quality of the shots coming out of the Fuji X Pro 1 coupled with its
native 35mm especially for  portraiture often meant that I keep my D800E and
the 85mm f1.4 in my dry box more than I should. But having the D800E allows
me then to use my Nikkor 24 and 85 PC-E lenses that my Leica R 35mm shift
lens can't match in range of movements.

The low light prowess of the Fuji X Trans sensor was matching my D700 and
more. In fact I liked it better. So sold it even though it was less than a
year old. However the D800E's sensor resolution is unmatched. For now.

Despite all these as well as my fondness for my Ricoh GXR with its M mount,
I still need to couple my Leica lenses on to its native body. So the other
buys while seemingly are stand-bys justify their places. In fact I am
looking  forward to trying out the Canon 6D with my Leica lenses.

One aspect that never seem to have been discussed in LUG is the appeal of
expensive cameras to snatch thieves. In this part of the world, it is not
possible to insure camera gear. So in rougher places, I use "cheaper" gear
to minimise potential losses.

Just another point to add to this thread: if one needs only decent prints no
larger than an A3 the most affordable way, buy the Ricoh GXR for Leica
lenses. The colours are very Leica-like (ok, M9 to be more exact). It offers
the smallest and lightest set-up for Leica too.

I believe it was money well spent. More like a prelude to the M240.

David Ching