Subject: [Leica] Mark's +2 and be there - thanks
From: philippe.amard at sfr.fr (philippe.amard at sfr.fr)
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 10:12:45 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Mark,

I took it from your previous explanations that you finally said, if I
understood your point, that you, Mark, need to stop down two clicks in order
to benefit from a "sharpness safety buoy" (SSB) around your point/plane of
focus as a precautionary measure.

At least that's what I understood and it made sense to me too, depending on
the kind of shot you're taking.

Starting from there what I am saying is simply that
this safety cushion (SSB) is definitely not linked with 5.6 - totally
irrelevant to my eyes.

The safety diaper (SSB) MAY be offered by 2 stops on a given focal length on
a certain format alright.

The same SSB will be provided with just one stop at another FL.
And by NO stop at all using a shorter FL on a smaller format.

The "bumper/diaper/cushion/Dof"  for f2 at 28mm on the X10 is NOT the same
as f2 at the same FL on the Digilux3,
 and both are way larger than the same f2 using any NikonDx as you are well
aware,
not to speak of the Fx at the same F2 28mm as your own experience must have
also confirmed.
I won't go into S2-ALpa-MF-LF  metaphysics here, but I bet it would still
strengthen my case.

 So if you need say a set 5" insurance on your focusing, you won't stop down
as much on camera combo X and camera combo Y.

Remember I started the thread asking why you insisted on a set forever in
stone 5.6 that would be independent of the circumstances of the case/shot.

You answered, even though indirectly that it's not 5.6, rather it is "stop
down two", which I don't find always grounded either with the gears I use.
But it has all given me a nice and helpful insight into your WHYs :-)
And might change my why nots ;-)

Thanks again

Philippe

Message du : 20/05/2013 08:54