Subject: [Leica] any Sony rx 1 users
From: owl at postmaster.co.uk (John Owlett)
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 20:58:35 -0000 (UTC)

On Monday 11 February 2013, at 18:06 PST, Paul Roark wrote:

> I had the opportunity to test a Sony RX1 briefly.  I sent it back due
> to defects, but it is an interesting camera and has a few attributes
> that are an exciting glimpse of the future.
>
> ... snip ...
>
> So, interesting, but not ready for prime time for me.

When the Sony DSC-RX1 was first mentioned on the LUG, several people
expressed doubts as to whether it would actually be bought to take
pictures.  My reaction was, "It might be", so I went across to
Bournemouth to take a close look at one.

The RX1 is basically a solidly built camera body with a 24.3 megapixel
sensor and a good 35mm f/2 lens.  What Sony seems to be trying to do
is to offer picture quality as good as an M-240 + Summicron, with
build quality as good as an M-240 + Summicron ... without the
flexibility of a system camera ... but at less than half the weight
and less than half the price.

And if Sony can achieve that, why not?  After all, Rolleiflex sold
about two million miniature Rollei 35 film cameras, and still makes
an occasional batch.

As a build-quality neurotic, but not a camera engineer, I felt that
the RX1 was as solidly built as the Nikon F3/T I had with me;

... but ...

the RX1 has no integral viewfinder.  There is an EVF you can put in
the hot shoe, but then you cannot fit a separate flash unit there.
There is a compact-camera-style pop-up flash, but of course that
won't bounce.

There apppears to be no way to use an EVF and a separate flash unit
at the same time, without setting up a slave flash to be triggered
by the pop-up unit.  Which is complication too far for my ideal of
a walkabout camera.

So, while I would agree with Paul that it is "an exciting glimpse
of the future", I would also agree that it is "not ready for prime
time for me."

Later,

Dr Owl

John Owlett, Southampton, UK