Subject: [Leica] A perfect match: M8 sensor and 50mm?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 16:39:03 -0500

It would seem that what ever issues a lens has toward the edges; distortion,
vignetting, lack of sharpness and or contrast using that lens on a cropped
camera makes it a no brainer. Your simply not using that part of the image.
Surprised to hear the M8 has to do a vignette trip to its images.

Like many photographers with some more extensive darkroom experience I tend
to darken edges as a matter of course.
Some of this comes from the idea that your enlarger  head may not be
reaching to the edges with its light source evenly. So we want to not have
them fall off. But most of it really is aesthetics. You don't want your eye
to fall off that edge of the image. That's how its described really.

People buying Biogons and other true wides in the 80's and 90's were
officered edge correction density filters for only a couple of hundred extra
bucks. I'd have saved my money but even asked for the opposite. A lens which
gave me more density on the edges not less.

Its great having your compact 50 be a very compact short tele
A 75 if its a 1.5 or a 66.5mm if its a 1.3 crop like the M8 and some
Canon's.
But when I went full frame I was incredibly glad to  "have my 50 back" as I
thought of it. And my 105 2.5, and 80's. And of course my wides like my 28
1.4
Their cropped personifications I never got used to.
I wanted my glass back. I got them back.
I also want my Leica glass back and that seems credible at this juncture.