Subject: [Leica] a "pro-hobbyist" evaluates an M9 . . . ICK
From: rgacpa at gmail.com (Robert Adler)
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 21:55:49 -0800

Paul wrote:
"However, with the tilt, there is still only one thin plane
in focus.  It's just tilted"
and
"With focus stacking, the planes of focus,
potentially, allow everything to be reasonably sharp."

It's a new world for MF just as for 35mm. To say tilt has a very narrow
DOF, just tilted, is no longer so in the digital world of MF. The matched
sensor/lens focal point in MF is far superior to when film was used. The
lenses have greater LPI resolution and they focus much more precisely on an
incredibly flat "film" plane. Match the lens to the sensor plane and you
have a machine like none that ever was available before.

This image, when viewed at 100 or 200 pct. is tack (not reasonably) sharp
everywhere:
http://www.rgaphoto.com/Kauai/content/TunnelBeach1-Pano_large.html

A 50mm Rodenstock digital lens at f/11.6 with "upside down" back tilt (the
top of frame leaves were the near, the mountain tops were the far) put
absolutely everything into focus. The leaves were about 3 feet from the
camera...

And it can print 40"x60" at a natural resolution of 240dpi; no up-ressing,
etc.

It just ain't as portable but it's a heck of a machine...
:-)
Bob