Subject: [Leica] Gun control
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 10:39:48 +0530

Of course, you have no aberrations in the USA. No desolate and bombed
out cities to photograph. No right wing loonie policemen
misinterpreting legal statutes. The government does not open posts,
eavesdrop on telephone conversations, monitor internet chat rooms,
rummage through locked luggage, etc. All because of one terrorist
incident, which the rest of the world faces more regularly, and
largely created by the USA's own astonishingly short sighted foreign
policy. Only the third world has all these problems. How stupid of me,
I should have known all these things. (-:

By the way, the girls were released in a few hours, and the cases
withdrawn because of the public anger stoked by the media.

On the other hand, all Asian cities I have been to are very safe by
any standard. You can walk around without worry at 2 am, even in
cities with abysmal poverty levels like Mumbai, Bangkok or Kuala
Lumpur. Toddlers do not get randomly massacred by gun toting loonies.
I have never heard a gun fired in the cities in my life of 60 years. I
have held a gun in my hand just once in my life. Manliness and self
respect is not equated to bearing arms and killing all living things.
You takes your pick....

The most fallacious argument is this rise/fall in acts of crime. In
percentage terms this might look massive, but in absolute terms the
data speaks differently. Marginal changes on a low base leads to high
percentage swings, but very low absolute differences.

Cheers
Jayanand

Sent from my iPad