Subject: [Leica] I wonder if the price will increase
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 09:42:40 +0000
References: <80F9701439F20347874CE5E4E03C22E99CB86CF6@WHIZZMAIL02.whizz.org> <CAF8hL-GGWDSVjvOsa7yQZ1T5A0B5uw59FR5Q2h5siqtp-Nb=6A@mail.gmail.com> <CAE3QcF78PD1SHCYB4sxQ6niJGweH3oyzj4a1JjwRGbh73O_4KA@mail.gmail.com> <CAF8hL-FgFeW6esrvKX=Y8VRuBsvE-e4EfU3iowsjepia+efXhQ@mail.gmail.com> <BF1A0887-457F-4B39-87AC-691A4755F8FF@gmail.com> <CAF8hL-G-k78AfBBpS6U2MBxwQBmCnNQ3bCr762usY9JsWyVGSg@mail.gmail.com> <CAH1UNJ2qnnhXbHQXDrUzHk608_bNpk1xngd=wzR0gSJJZ=VJ8A@mail.gmail.com>

Typically, in the industries I have worked in, manufacturing cost is 10% of
retail. The rest covers R&D, tooling, marketing, warranty, margin and dealer
margin.
The percentage varies a bit, being more for low volume items, where the R&D
and tooling cost has to be amortised over a smaller quantity of sales.
When I got involved in doing a plan for a lightweight production supercar at
Lola Cars it worked out, for example, that getting the engine through the
various government tests would work out at ?200,000 per car and the tooling
a similar amount. IIRC the actual manufacturing cost was about the same.
They needed to sell direct from the factory at ?650,000 each to break even
in the projected quantity, which was IMHO optimistic. This is for extremely
small quantities, probably like the new Summicron  though.
Nikon and Canon sell more of their high end cameras (as a loss leader for
prestige, I am told) in a month than Leica do in a year.
I am glad that Leica is now profitable. It made a loss, even at the prices
the money-obsessed hated, for years. I hope they continue to exist and make
a reasonable profit - why shouldn't they.
Some societies are much more obsessed with price than quality. These include
here in the UK and the USA. I remember one of my old colleagues who worked
for Mobil telling me a story. Mobil 1, which most have now copied, was by
far the best lubricant available (we got 5% more power using it at race
temperatures than the Valvoline racing oil we used to use). He said in the
US and UK it sold poorly because the vast majority of customers bought
mainly on price. In Germany, however, it was a big seller since customers
there were more interested in having the best.
FWIW
FD

Message from richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] I wonder if the price will increase)
Message from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] I wonder if the price will increase)