Subject: [Leica] I wonder if the price will increase
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 13:39:51 +0530
References: <80F9701439F20347874CE5E4E03C22E99CB86CF6@WHIZZMAIL02.whizz.org> <CAF8hL-GGWDSVjvOsa7yQZ1T5A0B5uw59FR5Q2h5siqtp-Nb=6A@mail.gmail.com> <CAE3QcF78PD1SHCYB4sxQ6niJGweH3oyzj4a1JjwRGbh73O_4KA@mail.gmail.com> <CAF8hL-FgFeW6esrvKX=Y8VRuBsvE-e4EfU3iowsjepia+efXhQ@mail.gmail.com> <BF1A0887-457F-4B39-87AC-691A4755F8FF@gmail.com> <CAF8hL-G-k78AfBBpS6U2MBxwQBmCnNQ3bCr762usY9JsWyVGSg@mail.gmail.com>

I would estimate that their gross margins on these lenses would be upward
of 60% - which really means that I am estimating their cost of production
at a still lofty USD3000 or so. That should take care of any number of
rejects, quality, raw material of the highest available specs, etc - when
you consider that the highest price (I think) that any other manufacturer
sells a 50mm for is around USD 1300 (Zeiss, and that too a Makro-Planar).
On second thoughts, their gross margins are probably closer to 70-75%.

I will be really interested whether the new M and the new 50 would have to
be sent to Solms for calibration (at an additional $$$$ charge, of course)!
Not that most of the buyers would care, they would have to use the combo
first to find out! (-:

Of course they will sell the whole lot. Their marketing strategy, as I
mentioned before, is really pretty good and focused right now! Must be
Blackstone's experience in these things commercial coming to the fore.

Cheers
Jayanand

Replies: Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] I wonder if the price will increase)
Message from richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] I wonder if the price will increase)