Subject: [Leica] I wonder if the price will increase
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 11:10:37 +1000

The (now delayed longer) new APO Summicron-M ASPH will be very limited hand
production according to the Solms folks.
It is not a replacement for the current Summicron-M at all. That one
continues in the range as does the Summilux-M 50 ASPH
Actually the design predates the Summilux. They never produced any before
BECAUSE it is so expensive and difficult.

It will cost about what the Newest Noctilux or the Summilux wides do which
is to say it will be horrendously expensive. They are "statement" lenses if
you like or reference lenses.  If someone had the means and desire to have
such a technical masterpiece then good luck to them. This is not an ostrich
skin gold plated something. This one actually has I think the best (quoted)
MTF characteristics that I have ever seen. Distilled essence of Peter Karbe
if you like ;-)

I bet they sell all that they can make to people that WANT one and can find
the money. I only half fit that group myself ;-)

None of these lenses have eliminated other lenses from their offerings. The
alternatives are still available. What you have did not suddenly lose
quality or value with the addition of new options. Just don't buy one. No
you or I don't need it nor does a Magnum photographer need it. Of course
you can take great photos with it or without it.

However this chestnut about them keeping the company afloat is just
chatter. They would be lucky to be able to produce a few hundred a year, if
that. In this case they would be going broke since it looks like being up
to 12 months since the first announcement before there are any for sale at
all.

I never understand these emotive reactions to when a new more expensive
product is announced. Leica stuff costs a LOT. We all have our own reasons
and priorities to use it/own it (or not!).

Cheers,
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman