Subject: [Leica] OT: Tracfone and GPS
From: spencer at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng)
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 21:07:25 +0800

Peter,

Some of the dedicated GPS apps on smartphones will come with their own maps
builtin/stored on the phone (or downloadable). Apps like Goole Map (or the
much maligned Apple version) will need a data plan or as Bill correctly
pointed out you will know a co-ordinate but have no idea how you got there
or where you are going. GPS' are not terribly useful without maps (good for
backtracking but that's about all).

I use an iPhone with a 3rd party GPS map which allows me to download maps
from OpenStreetMap.org for the times when I don't have mobile data access,
like right now as I am in China.

Regards,
Spencer