Subject: [Leica] OT: Tracfone and GPS
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2012 15:04:54 -0700

Thanks, Sonny and Herb.

Tracfone costs me about $120 per year for 800-1200 "talk" minutes, which
I don't ever use up. This yearly option is the least expensive way to
go. So if this S390G "semi-" smartphone does most of what I can
genuinely use, I'll be happy. It has WiFi, and I can always use up some
of those surplus minutes for emergency Internet when WiFi is not available.

If that turns out to be not enough, I can move up to Virgin Mobile for
about $400/year for a plan with 300 talk minutes/month and unlimited
data. That's more than I'm paying now, but still a far cry from a
regular cell provider with their financial shell games. They support
both Androids and iPhones.

I found a factory refurbished Garmin 1450LMT GPS for $92 on Amazon, so I
just went ahead and ordered that.  I can always sell it if I get a
"real" Smartphone later. But I found this unit so easy to use on my New
England trip that it may be preferable for use in the car anyway.

--Peter

 > There are relatively inexpensive GPS units from Garmin, Tom Tom, and
 > Magellan that are intended for automotive use and give audible turn
by turn
 > instructions. A few years ago, I bought a Garmin Street Pilot for my
wife,
 > choosing it over the (current) Nuvi (SP?) model because it was seriously
 > larger, giving it larger speakers and therefore better sound quality.
The
 > theory of the smaller Nuvi was that it would serve both as an automotive
 > model and a hand-held one while walking. I don't believe the Street
Pilot is