Subject: [Leica] LR Soft Proofing Redux
From: richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man)
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 22:59:11 -0700

Herb, it depends on what you do with Soft Proofing. What it does is that it
shows you, as best as it can, what the image looks like if printed using
that particular profile. So what you would do is to make a virtual copy and
then tweak the soft proofed copy to look like what you want before you
print. You can even have the original and the soft proofed images side by
side to see.

Now to get this to work really work, you must:
a) have a calibrated display
b) have the right profile for your printer/paper.

If you already have a) and b), then your print out should be pretty good
match for your monitor display for most gloss paper on new printers. What
fail most of the time is if the paper is matte (which has a lower DMax and
looks duller comparing to gloss or semi-gloss) or very vibrant colors that
are out of gamut of the printer/paper combo. Soft proofing would let you
see that and compensate before you print. You may have to make additional
compensations after seeing the prints of course.