Subject: [Leica] John Coltrane's Boyhood Home
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 08:14:00 +0530

My absolute favourites are the first Village vanguard album (for
tenor) and My Favorite Things (for soprano) - followed by his seminal
Miles Davis first quintet recordings, where you can hear him slowly
perfecting his unique "sheets of sound" method of playing tenor.
Another brilliant and under-appreciated side of Coltrane is seen in
his collaboration with vocalist Johnny Hartman called Lush Life, which
probably has the best version of the great Billy Strayhorn (Duke
Ellington's alter ego) standard I have ever heard.

Cheers
Jayanand