Subject: [Leica] SHOOTING B&W? - HENNING
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 09:52:52 -0400

Last year I spent around 5 months committing to B&W with my D700.
I rigged it so its what I saw in my monitor on the back of the camera.
I think I did so by having a monochrome jpeg be shot but also a normal RAW.
When they popped up on my computer monitor the Raw files would  be black and
white momentary but would convert in a few moments to color. I rigged up a
thing where I'd select them all hit a key and they'd go back to the
monochrome what  I saw in the back of my camera. Often with a not so subtle
color toning cool or warm or some odd thing. Green even.
Most of these images when I got to them a year later I went with color
versions of them. And threw away the old monocrome .psd Photoshop files.
But those files were washed out looking as I did them with my macbook pro
screen. Now that I'm working with a NEC bigger and easier to calibrate
screen my images are much more viable. They have blacks.  I spent a few
years making washed out images with no blacks. I wish you guys woulda told
me!

I had one macro so they'd all be a cool black another for warm. And I'd go
in phases heading out to shoot a bunch of cool or warm images.

Don't know if the new Leica Monochrom has that or not but for me it would be
a most welcome addition to my workflo to put it as inanely as possible.
I was a black and white darkroom person for many decades. Thursday nights
were generally all nighter darkroom nights for Friday print deadlines.
But I always had access to a color rental darkroom where I'd make contact
sheets from negs I'd get back in 30 minutes and make prints with the same
dodging and burning and easel as my black and white. Same el Nikkor lens
too.
So I had no qualms about color.
As I did more promotional photography than magazine work shot was more color
neg than transparency. But I was able to print the slides too either with
the use of an internet which I'd help make or direct positive in the same
lab.
I never found color to be an artistic compromise. Though my gallery showings
were mainly from my own darkroom.

Mark William Rabiner
Photography