Subject: [Leica] Times Photographer Is Arrested on Assignment in NY
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 16:00:29 -0700

Sonny Carter OFFERED:
>>> Maybe it is attitude, maybe location, maybe the times have change; but I
> managed many years in a major market as a TV news photog, and later as a
> news producer to never have come close to being arrested.
>
> I managed to photograph Civil Rights marches, protests, Black Panthers in
> the Desire Project, the Downtown Sniper, hurricanes and oil rig fires, and
> never a problem with cops.
>
> The only time I was every roughed up by an "authority", was when Richard
> Nixon came to New Orleans to speak at the AFL-CIO Convention.
>
> He and Pat were walking down Royal on the way to Brennan's, and I was
> standing next to the wall shooting with my B&H 70 DR, when a Secret Circus
> guy shoved me into the doorway of the Candle Shop.  They passed three feet
> away from me, and I kept shooting.   Nixon looked my way and
> grinned.<<<<<<<<

Hi Sonny,
Well we have another thing in common!!!!!!!! :-) Besides auto-rotating into
the ocean in a Helicopter! :-)

Never had a problem with police in any number of situations similar to
yourself! Other than your Secret Circus guy sounded similar in tone to my
only encounter. The "security person? Read mental midget retard!" I mean
this guy was really stupid and must have bought his "badge" at Walmart!

In any event I still got a couple of frames! Never said a word to, nor at
him. There are times you just keep your mouth shut and concentrate on
getting a picture regardless of the challenge! A much nicer feeling when you
win! :-) And you have good frames and the brain dead moron has been beaten!

You just learn to "be quiet" and do what you are expected to do! Get
successful photographs or video!

They walk amongst us! :-) And can be beaten using the KISS routine!  :-)

cheers,
ted