Subject: [Leica] Times Photographer Is Arrested on Assignment in NY Dr. Ted reply!
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 10:01:44 -0700

Herbert Kanner OFFERED:
Subject: Re: [Leica] Times Photographer Is Arrested on Assignment in NY

> This is really a reply to Dr. Ted's post re going to a longer lens. He is
> forgetting a law of nature, first formalized by a man named Murphy, which
> in this case says that if you step back and lengthen the lens, a phalanx
> of warm bodies will come between you and what you are trying to shoot.

Hi Herbert,
My dear friend! You are correct! :-) ..... HOWEVER not completely so! :-)

I just didn't give all the details when one makes a long lens move as I
partially explained! :-)

In the case of this.... "probably flashing in the officers faces after being
asked to stop?" my final details may not have worked, it being some time
past 10 in the evening.  ERGO: dark! Obviously requiring flash light? Or
common sense and back off as requested. Obviously the "flashing photog" did
not do so. ERGO? He got arrested! When he probably had a reasonable image of
a nothing fracas in any event? AND HE BECAME THE STORY! Instead of the "real
story!" Plain stupidity!

Quite frankly from what was written... not by crew members! But in the news
paper story. It seems the photog didn't stop. Instead of using his brain, he
continued to flash & annoy. One would almost think he's just the type that
gives all of us, as an ex. newspaper photographer I can say this.. ... "A
BAD NAME!" But then has anyone seen further details on this story indicating
exactly what happened?

Now back to explain what one does in using a long lens... 300 or so! :-) All
the details help don't they? :-) Obviously the situation requires "DAYLIGHT
AND HEIGHT!" :) Sorry I left that out! :-)

Police tell you to move or leave or stop? Your response quickly is... "Yes
Sir!" And you are out of there fast before another shooter does the same
thing. "LOOKING FOR HIGH GROUND! Or building to get a floor or two looking
down on the scene.... and over the heads of the closing ranks of!"

If you've used this trick a few times or many? 99.9% of the time you come
away with some very story telling photos because you've gone to the "High
Ground"  while others miss standing about trying to shoot through
the:........... as you explain quite correctly!

 >>>a phalanx of warm bodies will come between you and what you are trying
to shoot.<<<<

If the police tell or ask you to get back they do it for possibly more
reasons than you are aware of?
1/ The shooter is a pain in the ass trying to get closer? ERGO? Putting
himself in jeopardy. Or others?
2/ There might be a danger of an explosion? Cop trying to maybe save your
life? But you don't know?
3/ Ambulances maybe arriving requiring all the open space they can get?
4/ THIS LIST COULD GO ON ??????????

Yes I admit I've run into cops who were a pain in the ass for no obvious
reason. By the same token I've worked with and moved as asked simply because
"he has been given orders to clear everyone out of here that you have no
idea what that might be?"   So move! Why stand and argue and end up on the
back seat of a cruiser? And NO pictures?"

There are surely two sides to this "Flashing photog and arrest?" And I don't
believe we know them?

Given I've way too many years covering in city and out situations with
dozens of police and firemen, I figure they're doing their job and I don't
need to be a pain in the ass simply because? "I'm a so called privileged
member of the media....... "WHICH REALLY IS A CROCK OF CRAP!"

Just quickly go look for the high ground, get pictures and "FRONT PAGE WITH
A CREDITLINE!" KISS!
Regardless of what some folks may think, "It's much easier to keep it "KISS
SIMPLE!" Than being a pain in the ass and no pictures!  Common sense
attitude is all it takes! Then you use your eyes for what you have them for!
"SEEING AND SHOOTING INTERESTING PHOTOGRAPHS!" Front page is always a nice
tribute to your ability to see and shoot neat photos!

cheers,
Dr. ted :-)

Replies: Reply from kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner) ([Leica] Times Photographer Is Arrested on Assignment in NY Dr. Ted reply!)
Reply from richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] Times Photographer Is Arrested on Assignment in NY Dr. Ted reply!)