Subject: [Leica] M9 firmware update and 3rd party batteries
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 23:26:08 -0700

I would be willing to make a substantial bet that there is no magic way that
Leica can tell if you are using an aftermarket battery. After getting a DOA
aftermarket battery, I bit the bullet and bought a Leica battery as my
spare. When I tried to install the update, it told me that there was not
enough battery juice, and I had to replace this genuine battery by another
genuine one that had a full charge.  Obviously they are going by battery
voltage under load and objecting if there is a chance of failure during the
firmware update process.

Herbert Kanner
kanner at acm.org
650-326-8204