Subject: [Leica] Postcards from Provence
From: rgacpa at gmail.com (Robert Adler)
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 08:10:20 -0700

Hi Howard,

Lucky you! Gorgeous venue to be in. I am envious...

I think a polarizer (circular or otherwise) is critical for landscape
photography if it has any impact (sun not close to directly in front or
behind you). It takes the specular reflections, far and near, off of
leaves, flowers, buildings, etc. and, by so doing, provides a natural
richness and vibrance that can't be accomplished by post processing
vibrance/saturation (primarily because there is nothing to vibrate or
saturate in specular reflections). So I don't understand why folks may
think a polarizer is a bad thing...

Also, as many know, Charles Cramer is one of my heroes for landscape
photography. He invents and others follow. To that end, you will rarely see
any blue skies in his images. He believes (as do I) that blue is a vary
powerful color and should only be used sparingly. I find that finding an
appropriately interesting foreground to fill the frame rather than blue sky
is harder to do but yields much more satisfying images.

Of course this is just my taste. I'm sure there are many others that differ.

Best,
Bob