Subject: [Leica] Reorganizing my equipment collection
From: tgray at 125px.com (Tim Gray)
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 00:26:04 -0400

On May 31, 2012 at 08:25 AM +0530, Jayanand Govindaraj wrote:
>Same here. Neela and I are 33 years married. I think the younger
>generation in the West seems to be unable to work through problems
>inherent in a relationship, being brought up the last few decades with
>a very strong sense of entitlement, which percolates down to
>relationships as well.

Many (most) of my friends are married.  We are of the 'younger'
generation and live in the 'West'.  They seem to have no problems
working through their problems, including the ones that arise in their
relationships.  Many of them have been married for 5+ years.

Divorce rates have certainly risen in the last couple of decades, but as
I read the data, it's not my generation who seems to have the problem.
The number of divorces sky rocketed in between 1970ish and 1980 [1] [2].
More or less when the 'younger' generation was born.  Marriage rates are
seem to be down in the last 15 years, making the rate rise, but that's
no surprise.  After all, we are talking about people whose views are
influenced by being raised by the generation who was responsible for the
big rise in divorce, raised in non-nuclear families.  I also know plenty
of people my age who are in long term, healthy relationships who see no
need to get married.

This was true in 2007 in the US [1]:
> Despite the common notion that America remains plagued by a divorce
> epidemic, the national per capita divorce rate has declined steadily
> since its peak in 1981 and is now at its lowest level since 1970.

Not too bad for the 'younger' generation.  That article attributes the
rise in divorce rate in the 70's in the US to the adoption of no fault
divorce laws in most states.

I get so sick of broad generalizations of my generation, particularly
when they aren't founded in data or reality, but prejudices of
entitlement and other bullshit.

[1]: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/mvsr/supp/mv43_09s.pdf

[2]:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/jan/28/divorce-rates-marriage-ons