Subject: [Leica] Security in Dublin Airport now insist on scanning film
From: doug at ricecracker.net (doug kim)
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 08:24:03 -0400

I was not able to get in touch with the head of security at Dublin Airport
but I have his name and number which I can forward to you off list.

And apologies if I was not clear, but I never lost my temper and if
anything, the main woman whom I dealt with thanked me for being so
understanding. But I will also freely admit, one of my tactics is to hold
up the line to encourage them to let me through. This did not work in
Dublin as we quickly went to a side office to discuss.

This was in no means meant as a slight to Dublin or Ireland at all. If
anything, I brought out my iPad and showed all of security my shots from a
trip to Dublin, Galyway and Inis Mor from five years ago when I shot film
no problem. At least they enjoyed the gallery.

Doug Kim
o 646.602.7603
c 310.869.0498
--
http://www.ricecracker.net
http://www.bornyogis.com

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 3:28 PM, Douglas Barry <imra at iol.ie> wrote:

> Well, I'll be travelling to Bordeaux from Dublin in the coming week with a
> Rolleiflex and several rolls of film, so hopefully I won't get the same
> treatment after Doug Kim's forceful protests. But, just in case, I relayed
> his issues to the Irish Tourist Board for raising with the appropriate
> airport/police authorities.
>
> I quote from part of it "I'd still be grateful if you could forward it to
> someone who might be able to ensure that film photographers are treated
> with a little more consideration by security people at Irish airports.
> Certainly the last thing I want to read - as I'm sure is the same in your
> case - is further denigration of Ireland as a destination for any reason.
> In the light of the increasing number of photographers travelling for
> photography courses, any obstacles to them coming to Ireland should be
> removed."
>
> I got a holding email back today, and I'll await with interest to see what
> the outcome is.
>
> Douglas
> _________
> Douglas Barry
> Bray, Co. Wicklow
> Republic of Ireland
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Nathan Wajsman" <photo at
> frozenlight.eu>

>>> you.  Learn to pack light.  Use digital.  That's the reality for travel