Subject: [Leica] Leica Monochrome
From: tgray at 125px.com (Tim Gray)
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 14:38:49 -0400

On May 11, 2012 at 06:56 AM +0200, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
> But I also know that my almost-23 year old son will graduate with a
> Masters in aerospace engineering next year (2013) and I know that
> thanks to his hard work at university, he will have good grades and
> will very likely find a well-paying after graduating.

I wish him better luck than I've had.  Which is better than Phil's from
the sounds of it, but it still hasn't been awesome.  I was told the same
thing you are saying.  I worked hard in school, got into a very good
college, worked hard there, got into a very good graduate school, got a
Ph.D. in physics, got a postdoc, and have been looking for jobs for the
last three years.  It took 30 years for my rope to run out, but I've hit
the end of the line.  I've had ONE phone interview; I did not get the
job.  While I do currently have a job, our funding is not permanent, so
I could lose it at any moment.  And I simply have been unable to get any
kind of job.  Jobs I'm qualified for, jobs I'm over qualified for.  I've
even applied for secretary jobs.  I've been living apart from my
girlfriend, 7 hr drive, for the last three years as well.  As it turns
out, I'll probably having my position end/just end up quitting, and move
out to where my girlfriend lives and be supported by her.  Hopefully
I'll be able to find something there, even if it is $8/hr.

The job market sucks for younger people, and I'm one of the LUCKY ones.
I have a good education, I have my health, and I have no debt.  My
degrees are even in the sciences, you know the ones where all the good
jobs supposedly are.  I got to go to *awesome* schools for free, yet I
have no real career prospects to speak of.  I can only imagine what it's
like for the portions of the population that routinely get crapped on:
the poor, veterans, art majors, working class, high school educated, etc.

Also, Phil, that sounds like a raw deal.  I hope things get better for
you.

Replies: Reply from alal at poly.edu (Akhil Lal) ([Leica] Leica Monochrome)
Reply from photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Phil Forrest) ([Leica] Leica Monochrome)
Message from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Leica Monochrome)