Subject: [Leica] IMG: Exploring Higher ISO Values
From: kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney)
Date: Tue, 01 May 2012 18:00:46 -0500

On 5/1/2012 1:38 PM, Jim Nichols wrote:
> With the 2X Extender on the Leica Telyt 250/4, shutter speed, and DOF
> suffer.  I decided to explore some higher ISO values with the E-510.  Most
> of my work to date with this combination was at ISO 400.
>
> Towhees are normally ground feeders, but once or twice a year I will spot
> one on a feeder.  Here the Towhee Male is captured at ISO 800, 1/160 at
> f/4:
>
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Towhee+Male+ISO+800.jpg.html
>
> A Cardinal Female served as my subject at ISO 1600, 1/60 at f/8:
>
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Cardinal+Female+ISO+1600.jpg.html
>
> To my eye, 800 is quite useable, as is 1600, though with a bit more noise.
>  I must admit, though, that the higher ISO values of modern sensors would
> be appreciated for this work.
>
> Comments and critiques welcomed.
> Jim Nichols
> Tullahoma, TN USA

Hi Jim,

The photos look fine to me.  There is some noise banding at both 800 and
1600 in the darker areas, but it would be easy enough to paint out with
something like Topaz DeNoise if it is bothersome.  One of my favorite
cameras is a Panasonic GF-1, but ISO 200 is about tops.

Ken

Replies: Reply from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] IMG: Exploring Higher ISO Values)
Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] IMG: Exploring Higher ISO Values)