Subject: [Leica] IMG: Work Break
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 08:38:15 +1000

Thanks Tina I have a better understanding now. I have Vuescan Pro rather
than Silverfast but they have some comparable options in saving the raw
scan. A raw TIFF is where they initially started too but now also offer DNG
option. Not the same as a DNG from you M9 of course but understood by LR
and PS still.  A DNG is really only a TIFF with a few more tags anyway. I
don't think that you're gaining any quality specifically from that
conversion step.
Expanding on that Vuescan will also allow you to make concurrent output
from same scan (raw TIFF, TIFF DNG, JPEG etc) For scanning BW film you can
optionally have a scan as a positive (to let you invert later in PS) if
wanted.

I guess with your raw scans saved you can go back and redevelop in
Silverfast without penalty too then?

All of that is me getting off the initial point into related stuff I
suppose (quelle surprise!) but I think the central thing coming up from our
comments is that the versions shown do have that HDR processed look for
some of us at least and for me the textures appear overly smoothed as well.
Your content is invariably strong and most interesting, I only aim to
comment on the technical application aspects.

Now Doctor Ted will hunt me down and stamp KISS into my forehead again!

Cheers,
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman