Subject: [Leica] B&W Leica? Higher ISO
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Phil Forrest)
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 18:59:49 -0400

I've been saying this for a while. The world is not getting darker,
right? Didn't most of us learn on "slow" films between 100 and 400 ISO?
I still see no reason for anything over 3200. I'm not a coal miner
shooting photos of black cats while at work nor are most of us on the
LUG. I'm sure one person out there could make regular use of it but if
digital weren't around we'd still be pushing film up to 3200 and 6400
to get our grainy yet great photos we love.

To freeze motion at night? Again, why? Life isn't static, so why should
our photography be? I always hate these tack sharp photos that folks
show of helicopter blades perfectly frozen and straight as if the
aircraft is going to fall from the sky. Some things just look unnatural
when frozen above 1/1000 second. But that's my opinion.

I love the fact that I can get a nice clean 800ISO with my M9 as long
as I do the work to properly expose the frame. walking around center
city Philly at night shooting a 35 Lux at f/2 and 1/30 second is
perfect. All i have to do is focus and imagine Dr. Ted yelling at me to
shoot, not to fiddle with the camera and all its trappings.

I think this high ISO craze is BS but again, that's my opinion. I also
KNOW it is spoiling a lot of photo students out there who don't know
how to expose a frame without the camera telling them every single
thing during and after (chimping) the shot. I'm waiting for this wave
of mediocrity to sweep into the professional world and then the
employment opportunities to open up to folks who learned how to do this
on K64 with a spotmatic that had a broken light meter.

Ok, mumble, mumble, metaphorical lawn, mumble mumble. I'll get off my
soapbox.

Phil Forrest

Replies: Reply from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] B&W Leica? Higher ISO)
Message from sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter) ([Leica] B&W Leica?)