Subject: [Leica] OT (very) The Great Prostate Debate: Does Screening Save Lives?: Scientific American
From: kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney)
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 18:21:38 -0600

On 2/8/2012 10:24 AM, Steve Barbour wrote:
> keeping this important debate alive...
>

> http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=the-great-prostate-debate

My urologist has had me do eight PSA tests in the past two years, all of
which hover around the same score save for one outlier.  We have now
gone to six months.  He is cautious about avoiding a biopsy, because of
possible complications and prefers  just to "watch and wait".   Our
family practice doc says he usually doesn't recommend the test for males
70 and older (me), since "treatment will just screw up whatever time you
have left" (maybe not the best bedside manner but I appreciate an honest
opinion).  Anyway, postings about this and other health issues are
appreciated, so long as it doesn't involve red wine suddenly not being
good for you.

Ken

Replies: Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] OT (very) The Great Prostate Debate: Does Screening Save Lives?: Scientific American)
In reply to: Message from steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] OT (very) The Great Prostate Debate: Does Screening Save Lives?: Scientific American)