Subject: [Leica] War Photographers
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Phil Forrest)
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 23:32:09 -0500

Emanuel,
A rather pessimistic view in the eyes of the greater media consuming
audience but one which I share for the most part.

The folks who actually see the images that war photographers make are
so far removed from the conflicts usually that they could be on a
different planet. Most of the populations of the people covered
(Rwanda, Uganda, Somalia, Iraq, the Balkans, SE Asia and the list goes
on) never get to see the images. All the way back to the beginning of
photography it can still largely be a medium for the upper
socio-economic echelon of civilization.
Like you say, war photographs have not changed anything. Margaret
Bourke-White's (among others) work to document the horrors of Nazi
concentration camps may have helped to put the nail in the coffin on
the atrocities of that conflict but they did not prevent future
conflicts or future genocides. Now that visual information services
are persecuted in many nations, and to some extent, all nations (subtle
means of censorship) the commission of atrocities against mankind or
the natural world may go even more unnoticed than before through
suppression of information. Not that it matters though. I still do
think that people need to see the condition that others live in but as
long as a populace is not directly affected by a condition, they are
going to say "that's sad" then turn the channel. Consumers of media
these days have to actively seek out the images of war or realistic
depictions of the human condition (famine, disease, genocide, poverty)
since there are so many outlets that simply don't carry any such
images. Before cable, just the airwaves carried all the news and there
were few networks. The images of war were in the news constantly and on
the newspapers the same. Now we all have to make money so money wins
over suffering of others when the media is concerned.
It's sad that people so willingly turn their backs on the suffering of
others in favor of a lighthearted distraction of life but it's the way
the market works.

Phil Forrest