Subject: [Leica] photoshop-vs-lightroom
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 20:47:14 +0100

That's my point! Of course I know what ACR is but the point is that I do not
have to worry about it. When Adobe introduced Lightroom, their marketing
pitch was that they had taken the bits of Photoshop that were most useful to
photographers (as opposed to graphic designers, conceptual artists and
computer geeks) and married them with a powerful database. Add the
non-destructive editing, and I do not need to bother with any other software
for photo editing, ever.

Cheers,
Nathan

On 27 Dec, 2011, at 20:40 , Adam Bridge wrote:

> ACR = Adobe Camera Raw
>
> It's the fundamental piece of software that knows how to interpret and
> deal with RAW image files in whatever form they take and convert them to
> an editable form.
>
> It's idiotic to call Lightroom a simple ACR application.
>
> The ability to do parametric (non-destructive) editing on files is a
> function of fast CPU cycles, lots of memory and powerful graphic
> processors. Five years ago there weren't many multiple-core CPUs out there
> to be had and GPUs were just starting to come into their own.
>
> The brush tool in Lightroom is a pretty amazing bit of software.
>
> It's not Photoshop and that's a good thing.
>
> Adam
>

> On Dec 27, 2011, at 11:13 AM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
>
>> OK, so I guess Adobe are just bullshiitting here:
>>
>> http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshoplightroom/about/
>>
>> And WTF is ACR? I know, it is some RAW conversion engine deep in the
>> bowels of both Photoshop and Lightroom. The beauty of it all is that I
>> don't have to care about it!!! All I have to worry about is whether the
>> picture is any good! That is how photography should be.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Nathan
>>
>> Nathan Wajsman
>> Alicante, Spain
>> http://www.frozenlight.eu
>> http://www.greatpix.eu
>> http://www.nathanfoto.com
>> Blog: http://nathansmusings.wordpress.com/
>>

>> YNWA
>>

>> On Dec 27, 2011, at 7:41 PM, Mark Rabiner wrote:
>>
>>> Photoshop is the great image cruncher with a half assed DB tacked on to
>>> act
>>> as a digital contact sheet.
>>> Lightroom is a great DB digital contact sheet with a half assed image
>>> cruncher tacked on.
>>> They are Apples and Oranges as the old LUG used to say.
>>> Or Apples and Pears as the French say better.
>>>
>>> The only mystery to me is the timing on the thing.
>>> I like most photographers and serious photo enthusiasts I know who went
>>> digital without waiting too long got Photoshop when they got their first
>>> digital camera. If not before. Actually many had Photoshop way before
>>> they
>>> even had their digital first camera.
>>> It was not a super easy program to learn but the weeks turn into months
>>> and
>>> before you know It you've got it at least so its doing what you need it
>>> do for you. But next month you'd be better.
>>> By the way its a long way from Photoshop to Elements but most people in
>>> the
>>> 80's and 90's just got a copy of the real big boy Photoshop from a
>>> friend.
>>> Every kid had a copy. It was more popular than pin ball games or the
>>> jungle
>>> Jim.
>>> When you'd meet up with your photographer friends or talk to them you'd
>>> talk
>>> about the latest trick you'd learned on Photoshop. And how your early
>>> Epson
>>> prints were looking which paper you were using which setting.
>>>
>>> No So all of a sudden you supposedly don't need it.
>>> I can tell you I am very familiar with what ACR can do and its a start
>>> off
>>> point on image crouching. Not an end to itself.
>>> What you have learned on Photoshop this week?
>>> Every time I've put Photoshop aside and gotten distracted by other
>>> programs
>>> I've certainly had to pick it up again and make up for lost time.
>>> --
>>> Mark R.
>>> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lugalrabs/winterdays/

Nathan Wajsman