Subject: [Leica] photoshop-vs-lightroom
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 13:41:55 -0500

Photoshop is the great image cruncher with a half assed DB tacked on to act
as a digital contact sheet.
Lightroom is a great DB digital contact sheet with a half assed image
cruncher tacked on.
They are Apples and Oranges as the old LUG used to say.
Or Apples and Pears as the French say better.

The only mystery to me is the timing on the thing.
I like most photographers and serious photo enthusiasts I know who went
digital without waiting too long got Photoshop when they got their first
digital camera. If not before. Actually many had Photoshop way before they
even had their digital first camera.
It was not a super easy program to learn but the weeks turn into months and
before you know It you've got it at least so its doing what you need it to
do for you. But next month you'd be better.
By the way its a long way from Photoshop to Elements but most people in the
80's and 90's just got a copy of the real big boy Photoshop from a friend.
Every kid had a copy. It was more popular than pin ball games or the jungle
Jim.
When you'd meet up with your photographer friends or talk to them you'd talk
about the latest trick you'd learned on Photoshop. And how your early Epson
prints were looking which paper you were using which setting.

No So all of a sudden you supposedly don't need it.
I can tell you I am very familiar with what ACR can do and its a start off
point on image crouching. Not an end to itself.
What you have learned on Photoshop this week?
Every time I've put Photoshop aside and gotten distracted by other programs
I've certainly had to pick it up again and make up for lost time.
--
Mark R.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lugalrabs/winterdays/