Subject: [Leica] photoshop-vs-lightroom
From: abridge at mac.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 09:01:31 -0800

On thing not mentioned: Lightroom is entirely non-destructive to your
images. Everything it does is parametric - that is the changes are done on
the fly. This is seriously neat and means that your original file is ALWAYS
there to be edited in its original state.

Photoshop doesn't do that unless you convert to smart filters.

It's the creation of masks on the fly that is amazing inside Lightroom. I
have a bit of an inkling on how it does it, but I sure admire the engineers
who implemented those features.

There are tasks that only Photoshop can do. If you need layers and
compositing then Lightroom isn't it - although you can do much before you
get to the point where you need those.

I'm making these points, not to convince Mark that he's wrong, but simply to
bring out a fundamental and profound difference between the two software
environments.

Adam

Replies: Reply from billcpearce at cox.net (Bill Pearce) ([Leica] photoshop-vs-lightroom)
Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] photoshop-vs-lightroom)