Subject: [Leica] now x-ray damage
From: csaganich at gmail.com (Chris Saganich)
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 12:27:10 -0500
References: <80734B3E-B2A7-4B6A-B736-2CB611D8F3F9@frozenlight.eu> <4dcd69c4d31225f3327df849ee7d2570.squirrel@emailmg.globat.com> <CA+yJO1BTffVvhHw2wpHzrgdaN-VyzW4JDZhVHFnniNvjFNrtdw@mail.gmail.com> <dad4458d1784172741d3759c4dd6ea7b.squirrel@emailmg.globat.com> <CAG8EVmy_uBRAqPgUWv+Mb95jCss3JyQovqeq3STE5qR7n-WZNg@mail.gmail.com> <CABmfTOUX2zq4-HTO=4B1cgMf3Q03vHJ3nRxofPZCZxtdccxejQ@mail.gmail.com> <4EC5A7E8.5000107@cox.net>

My sister in law lost a roll to the baggage scanner.  They increase X-ray
intensity when they see slightly opaque objects.  The instruments used for
carry-on don't have that capability, at lease they didn't, who known if
that changed in the past few years.  A few years ago I made x-ray safe film
cans by wrapping normal film cans with .5mm equivalent leaded vinyl I have
around the shop.  What happens at the domestic airport is one of three
things.  It goes through without notice,  It goes through with the
question, "Do you have film in there?"  I say yes and that's it.  Or
three,  My bag and film cans get the swab test.  Only once has there been
an argument about the necessity of leaded film cans and film speed.  I
reuse old cans and twice I had to explain that the film inside the can is
different from the can label.

Prior to the full body x-ray scanner I would roll all film in plastic
containers (or just bring 120) and line my pockets in preparation for the
metal detector.  I learned from my people in the hood that baggy pants and
a long shirt will conceal most anything you desire.  The X-ray full body
scanners make this tactic impractical.  Once I went through one holding all
my film in my hand, (4 rolls per hand), because I knew the Compton
scattering effect creating the scanner image would be mostly attenuated by
the thin metal cans.  I haven't tried that again yet, maybe for the
Christmas trip to CA.

--
Chris Saganich
www.imagebrooklyn.com