Subject: [Leica] Trip to Kenya
From: rhart76 at gmail.com (Roger Hart)
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 20:59:37 -0400

Henning,

Thank you for your detailed and thoughtful reply. The depth and
breadth of the LUG never ceases to amaze me.

I am going for work, so I must take the right gear to come back with
the photos. I will be shooting some things other than just wildlife so
I need to cover everything from a wide-angle to telephoto. I travel
quite a bit, all around the world, and have a regular "kit" that
includes two Nikon bodies (D3S and D700), 17-35, 24-70, 80-200, a 1.4
converter and two Nikon strobes, plus all the essential cables,
battery chargers, dust blower and brushes, and 12 8-gb CF cards. Plus
a laptop, power converter, mouse, card reader, etc. I sometimes will
also carry my M8 and 28 with this kit. This all fits into a ThinkTank
roller, that with the laptop removed, will fit under the seat of a
commuter plane. But it does tip the scales at just more than 20
kilos...so it's not lightweight. And for this trip, I'm going to add
at least a 300 f/2.8, and/or if it arrives on time, a 200-400 that
I've had on order for some time. With all the catastrophes that have
hit Japan (and now Thailand), production of the lens seems to be on a
limited basis. Adding a longer lens will mean something will have to
come out of the bag.

I've been traveling with an iPad since it first came out, and it too,
will be going along for the trip, although I use it mainly for reading
and music, and e-mail.

My big debate is whether to take the computer, which I would use to
backup all the images from the cards. I may decide to not take the
laptop and take more CF cards...way smaller and lighter. And I might
swap out the 17-35 with a 20mm prime. Smaller and lighter.

Again, thanks for the tips. I appreciate all the expertise.

Roger Hart
Detroit
USA