Subject: [Leica] Trip to Kenya
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 10:14:38 -0700

Roger,

As Howard has mentioned I also took Panasonic m4/3 equipment, and the
majority of the pictures of animals were taken with the 100-300. I took a
GH2 and a G3 body. Other lenses included the 14-140, 7-14, 12/2, 20/1.7,
45/2.8macro and a 75/2 AA Summicron on an adapter for a 150/2 equivalent,
which I used for maybe 25 shots. The others got used more.

The vehicles we were in were not allowed to go off the tracks, which were
numerous but not always in the best places for photos. Long lenses were
essential, but sometimes the animals, especially the large ones and the
predators would walk within a foot of the vehicles. Zooms were very helpful.

I took 320Gb of SD cards which were all Transcend Class 10 in capacities of
32 and 16Gb and no computer. I did use someones laptop part way through to
back up the cards shot to that point onto a small 2.5 in drive.

I've usually taken either a laptop or a Nexto backup device, and the lack of
proper backup made me a bit nervous, but then with film I never had backup.
I did take an iPad, for which I got a SIM and data plan in Kenya for $20 for
3Gb, which was sufficient. We had good cell reception everywhere. I took a
couple of pictures of large animals (elephants, giraffes) with the iPad and
sent them directly from the place they were taken to my grandchildren.

I also took a Hyperjuice battery backup for the iPad, for long flights or
whatever.

All this equipment fit comfortably into a Domke 803. There was a small bag
with chargers, cords etc in the suitcase. As we were also going to be some
days in England at the end, I had to take some warmer and different clothes
as well. My total kit, including clothes weighed about 15kg.

As I don't have or generally use long tells like you, I had to carefully
consider my options. Last year for an event I had bought a 300/2.8 IS for my
Canon 5D and 7D, but found that with teleconverters the quality really
wasn't that good. I also have a 100-400 and compared that to the Panasonic
GH2 with 100-300. The 7D is a good body and with the 100-400 produces a
similar number of pixels for an object at the long end, but the optical
performance of the 100-400 just isn't good enough to get the most out of the
sensor. The GH-2 and 100-300 at the long end produced a bit more detail.
That, and the fact that the m4/3 outfit was much smaller made the decision
easy.

I changed lenses regularly every day, including out on the drives where
there was dust, but I had no dust problems. The Canon 7D also has a bit
higher propensity for collecting dust.

On reflection, there isn't much I would change. I would leave the 75
Summicron at home and instead of the iPad I would take a MacBook Air
possibly. Still not sure. If Panasonic had a stabilized lens that went up to
400mm, I would take that. I would leave the shorts at home, because there
was no use for them.

If I was more serious about wildlife photography, I might consider taking
something like the 500/4 Canon with 1.4 converter and the 200-400 with the
built in converter, plus 70-200 and other stuff. But dealing with all that
stuff is suspiciously like work, and this trip was intended as a holiday,
not work.

Henning