Subject: [Leica] BBC and Twitter
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 18:13:06 -0400

One of their spokespersons went so far as to say that anything on the
internet is public domain and not under copyright restrictions.  At least
BBC was smart enough to say that is incorrect, but it is a slippery slope.
 Where do you draw the line?  They could say they made every effort when
they only looked for a watermark.  What are exceptional circumstances?
 Photos taken during exception circumstances might be seen to have more
worth that those in unexceptional circumstances!  There was a case where a
professional photographer in Afghanistan published a photo on Flickr and it
was used in newspapers around the world without permission.  I don't post
photos on Flickr but they should still be considered under the copyright of
the person who took the photo and not be used for any purpose without
permission.  It is just like they went to someone's website to rip off the
image.  A short shelf life might mean a very valuable short shelf life.
 News-breaking photos have sold for quite a bit, especially if they are
exclusive.  I don't think BBC had any right to use the photo, someone else's
property, without permission.  Give them an inch today and they'll take a
mile tomorrow.

Tina