Subject: [Leica] Thinking about a D700 or D7000
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 16:43:37 -0400

The anti has gone up.
All through the previous decades you could shoot what the pros were shooting
for around a grand and a half usd. Now its 2.5x that.
An M6 cost  about as much as a Canon or nikon. But the glass cost way more.
And the body felt like it cost way more to people because there were no
micromoters or chips in it. The general public should not grasp a hand made
low tech camera having value. The kind of value they could relate to
spending money on. So Leica had a discerning smaller following.
- even if you were not using an M6 or 7 but a 5, or 4 or 3 your prints were
certainly not going to suffer. No one was going to ask for their money back.
And if you go to an m9 you are ok. But its 7 grand. And who's got 7 grand?
Not me.
I have or had after a year or more of scrambling 2.5 grand.
So I got a D700 for my nikon glass.
If I was able to somehow gather 7 grand I'd have my Leica m glass going
instead.

In the 24 features shot for the NYTimes from '07 to '09 the issue that I was
shooting cropped came up many times. On several occasions they were ready
to run one of my pix I'd just turned in big on the cover of the section but
when things calmed down when they saw they were not getting the same kind of
full frame (then Canon) quality they were used to it ended up not so big  on
the page.
That's how I perceived it at least.
I kept promising I'd got full frame soon  but I was not able to swing it
then. It was very frustrating. I wish to heck that body of work (I'm about
to print) was shot on my D700 not my D200. In the future on some larger
printings of it I'm going to have to be investing in special software just
to clean the stuff up. Get the noise out of half of them. Anything not shoot
in the noon day sun at iso 200.
The stuff I'm shooting now is only about ten times better in all ways.
Get a full frame camera.
If you can't swing 7 grand for an m9 swing 2.5 for a canon or nikon DSLR.
The cropped bodies are toys that no one takes seriously any more.
That's why they cost 800 bucks.

Its like you traded in  your M6 for a 110 pocket instamatic and you think
they are equivalent. "I thought it would be nice to have something smaller!"

--
Mark R.