Subject: [Leica] Use of Leica 1.4x magnifier....
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Philip F)
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 19:38:35 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

The digital sensor plane is perfectly flat and it is ruthless when it comes
to focusing errors, focus shift or whatnot. An error in the focusing action
only the thickness of film can cause gross focusing errors on the final shot
in digital. The thickness of film itself accounts for this.
This is an issue that folks who bought the RD1 and the M8 had to find out
the hard way by having some of their lenses collimated to their camera
bodies. The 90 TE is one of those that's really sensitive to focus errors I
and others have found.
As for the lens itself, it's a great performer. it has an issue with flare
when very bright areas or light sources are in the frame or light is hitting
the front element at a sharp angle outside the image area. There's also the
regular issue of Leica lens haze and then the rear element etching which was
unique to some early TE lenses. It's not a dog at all. It's a great, very
portable and very capable lens but now that digital has changed the game,
the 90TE has become much more difficult to use.

Phil Forrest