Subject: [Leica] M lens 21mm F2.8 pre ASPH
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2011 03:14:16 -0400

On the M21 being a big lens.
When the 35 f2 and 1.4 came out in aspheric versions it was sharp wide open
but lost its compactness and light weight in the process.
Not the case with the M21 which when it came into an ASPH version was made
slim and gorgeous. And lighter weight.

However come to think of it when the 90 Summicron was made into an ASPH with
an APO added to it as well it became much more sleek and I think lighter.
And a hell of a lot more gorgeous in design.

If I had a windfall now and was abet to swing an M9 with my choice of lens
the lens I would get for it would be the new SUPER ELMAR-M 1:3,4/21mm ASPH..
It should be out in the next few weeks or months. This lens excited me. The
21 focal lengh excites me. And my 21 Elmarit ASPH is such an incredible
performer but I don't need f 2.8 nor do I need the weight and bulk.
I need the SUPER ELMAR-M 1:3,4/21mm ASPH.
In my side bag.
All day.
Its a lens the M9 deserves to have in front of it.
And Marky deserves one.
I value glass more than a body not less. Or at least as much.
I just know what modern Leica glass can do. I've printed darkroom 16x20's.
And my inkjets are looking pretty darned good and could  go to 17x20
someday.
We think we're just going to be making 8x10's all our lives or now uploading
to screen shots maybe maxing out at 1200 pixels across but comes a day when
we're asked to hang a show. And we go out and buy some packs of large maybe
17x20 inch paper. And that's when we see some of our images fall apart and
we wished we'd used better glass and higher shutter speeds and better
technique.
Shooting Leica gives us an opportunity to leave Nikon and Canon shooters in
the dust becuae its glass is on a much higher premium level.
So having gotten a Leica saving money on glass is really such a damn shame.
So having paid big bucks for a Leica (7 grand) and than going for shaving
money and glass is damn shame.
I'd buy a cheaper camera and use that companies best glass instead.
Which is come to think of it what I'm doing at this point in time.

Mark William Rabiner
Photography
Cars:   http://tinyurl.com/2f7ptxb