Subject: [Leica] Another R option (now M9)
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 08:53:48 +0530

I do not understand the 'cannibalization' theory. Nikon seemed to sell
enough of both the D700 and D3, even though they had the same sensor, and
pretty much the same functionality at wildly different price points. Those
who needed a tough, rugged camera body bought a D3, and the rest a D700.
Cannot Leica do something similar? I am sure Leica management knows what
they are doing, but looking at it from the outside, it seems to me that the
idea  should be to grow and diversify one's market through product
differentiation till the company gets insulated from the risk of a single
new product that gets launched and fails. As of now, it seems to me, that
Leica is overly dependent on the M9 to drive profitability. I do not think
that either the S2 or Panaleicas bring in much profit to the company as a
whole, because of low volumes, even though they may be very profitable per
unit sold. If they cannot bring in another lower priced model now for fear
of losing sales of the M9, surely they should simultaneously release two
models with the launch of a M10 at two different price points, offering
different features and functionality to broaden out their market base.
Cheers
Jayanand

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 8:37 AM, Philip Forrest <photo.forrest at
earthlink.net

Message from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] Another R option (now M9))
Message from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Another R option (now M9))
Message from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] Another R option (now M9))