Subject: [Leica] Apple MacBook
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 12:59:31 -0700

I've been a Mac user since early 1984. On and off I've had to use
DOS/Windows machines and still use emulation for the odd program, but
if I can I use Macs.

My main machine now is a 17" Macbook Pro loaded up, and usually I use
multiple monitors wherever I'm working, and have now also bought an
iPad and use it like:
http://tinyurl.com/2dvlq23. It works extremely well. If I don't want
to carry the MBPro with me, I can leave it at the office or home and
access it from my iPad with a remote desktop application, so I can
run my CAD software remotely over my iPad. Good enough for field use.

My wife has a MBPro 13", as does my son. He also has a 27" iMac. I
also have an old G5 Mac at home, but it is seeing less use and I will
probably get rid of it shortly. The architectural office through
which I do most of my work is also all Mac and uses iMacs and MacBook
Pros throughout, except for our server which is a  Mac tower. All the
people who reguarly work out of the office or at home use MBPros,
including the partners. Some use additional screens but some do not.

My father-in-law got a MacBook Air 11" from one of his daughters, and
while he had little interest in it (he's 94) I got to use it while
visiting. It seems excellent and very snappy for almost everything
due to the solid state drive. I'm planning on replacing the optical
drive in my 17" machine with a solid state drive as startup and
applications drive.

In any case, I would suggest a MacBook Air. An external optical drive
isn't much for occasional use, and the size of the internal flash
drive should be dependant on what her field of study should be.

Additionally, a couple of portable 2-1/2" drives should be part of
the setup. One to use as a Time Machine backup, the other for all the
extraneous data that would otherwise start clogging up her machine.
These drives are available for well under $100. I usually carry one
Time Machine drive and one for recent photos with me for my MacBook
Pro, but she would reasonably leave those and the optical back where
she lives.

--

       Henning J. Wulff
  Wulff Photography & Design