Subject: [Leica] DOF of 80/1.4 at 1.4 slimmer than 50mm at 1.4?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 19:22:16 -0400

Part of it difficulty is you are with the crop circle factor shooting a
105mm 1.4 lens!
Can you imagine what that lens would look like, weigh, and cost? And how
difficult it would be to use?  (like an 80 1.4 on steroids I guess)
This always only shoot wide open thing is blown way out of proportion here
on the LUG. The rest of the world stops down whenever then can; at least a
couple of stops. You think you've nailed it in your groundglass but half the
times you don't.  Though Leica M rangefinder makes this a much better
proposition. But on a groundglass its nice to be shooting at f 5.6 or 3.5
when what you are seeing is 1.4. No one will accuse you of not being cutting
edge. You can use higher ISO's with digital than with film. And if anyone
accuse you of "not getting the most of their Leica glass" then you know
who's clueless.

Mark William Rabiner
Photography