Subject: [Leica] Family photos, 1920s-40s
From: photo at (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 07:46:02 +0200

Hi Barry,

It was indeed a Syrena, and I am sure bribes were common, as they were in
all other aspects of life. I was only 9 at the time this picture was, and we
left Poland two years later, so I have no personal experience with this.

The Syrena was no rocket for sure, but even then it was capable of breaking
a 60 km/h speed limit...Just before leaving Poland in 1972, we took a long
trip in it, to East Germany, Czechoslovakia and Hungary.

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain

On Apr 10, 2011, at 2:15 AM, Douglas Barry wrote:

> Nathan,
> Agree with the comments on the group portrait - positively luminous - even
> without the poignant undercurrents of its history.
> The car one is very curious. I somehow doubt that tickets issued like that
> would stick nowadays. Very easy to accelerate up to an unsuspecting victim
> and take a picture of them while the camera shows the police car's closing
> speed and not the victim's. Were bribes to policemen common in communist
> Poland in the 70s? Anyway, it looks like a Syrena and they were not
> exactly rocket ships, so it's hard to believe it was breaking the speed
> limit!
> Douglas
> _________
> Douglas Barry
> Bray, Co. Wicklow
> Republic of Ireland
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Nathan Wajsman" <photo at

Message from photo at (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Family photos, 1920s-40s)
Message from imra at (Douglas Barry) ([Leica] Family photos, 1920s-40s)