Subject: [Leica] IMG: Threshing Wheat
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 09:02:56 -0800

Tina Manley offered:
>>I recently got some of the old slides back out again and decided they
>>might
be worth archiving, if nothing else.  They have a kind of pointillism that I
actually like.  Maybe it needs to be more abstract?  The actual film name is
not right because it was not listed, but it is Agfachrome of some
kind.<<<<<<

>>> Keep in mind that I have hundreds of these slides ;-)   It takes me
>>> about a
> day to remove all of the dust and scratches.  Worth it or not?<<<<<<<

Hi Tina,

I believe the material is very worth while to keep, if for no other
reason.... "they are of historical value!" I'm not saying spend days
cleaning them up. But have a hard edit for those of the best quality, put
those a side for a time when you feel you can clean them up. The outs? Save
in whatever fashion you file your slides. That is for now.

Mean while see if you can find an  historical organization who might be
intested in buying the lot, good, bad and ugly!  as part of a colletion of
Iran as it was in those times. I'd suggest duping the very best keepers for
your personal file for future lectures or book publications?

If you just put them back in your files and they lie there for another 30
years there's always the wild possiblity they'll just be dumped.

Yes I know at this moment in time we wouldn't get rid of anything! However,
think 25 - 30 years or more down the line and it will be a whole new
situation.

The imortant part right now is.... the hard nose edit, never mind the
cleaning-up, save that for later. Dupe the major keepers and make
contact.... even with the Iranian office in Washington, if there is one? Or
directly to Iran and their Department of Antiquities? Seek and you might
find?? MONEY!

Nothing ventured , nothing gained. And don't get all emotional over them!
Look, I know what emoional is about, as I watched a huge truck take my
filing cabinets away with 280,000 images to the National Archives of Canada.
Yep cried! After all they are our life! As I said make dupes of the max.
keepers then you'll have a record for future use.

cheers,
ted