Subject: [Leica] new photos in the gallery
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 13:44:19 -0800

Howard Ritter ASKED:
Subject: Re: [Leica] new photos in the gallery

>>>Ted?
But the real masterpieces were the two of Blind Mike. I'd be interested in
knowing whether you visualized it, or perhaps even arranged it, but the
stripes of light and shadow falling across his head and face from the blinds
were a masterful accent to the portraiture, especially the head shot. All
sorts of deep and tasty connotations (like those found in a glass of
Lagavullin?)?a life lived in the shadows, a sightless man being accented by
the very light he can't see, etc etc etc as they teach us to perceive
(imagine?) in Art Depreciation classes. Very classy and dramatic. Shoot from
the shadow side, indeed.

Hi Howard,

No thought at all! Simply...........   "SEE --- SHOOT!" If one has to think
about light as beautiful as this, the chances are it's gone before you blink
or the subject get's up and moves. :-(

He was in the midddle of an interview as I returned quietly from shooting
another part of his home. I walked in, the camera came up..... click! The
wide shot is an M8 with the CV 35mm f 1.2 lens. Switched lenses and the
tight image is a Leica 90mm Summicron.

As I've pretty well always said... "don't think! If it moves your heart
shoot! Then you can waste time thinking about it and "maybe????" getting
something else or better? But if your gut or heart or soul moves you, shoot
as quickly as possible as you've seen something so it's immediate ----
shoot.

cheers,
ted