Subject: [Leica] Blind man
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 11:22:05 -0800

Lawrence Zeitlin asked:
Subject: Re: [Leica] Blind man

> Ted,
> No wonder Leica doesn't give you free cameras. I noticed that in the last
> block of photos on the LUG where cameras were identified, shots from
> Canons
> outnumbered those from Leicas. Obviously Leica suits think that you are
> not
> a loyalist and that you consider their products second best. Are they
> right?

Hi Larry,
 Oh I've never put my Leica Camera any place but first last and for ever
more and being doing so for over 55 years or more as a working professional!
I was the "high-liner" speaker, for a better term, at the International
Leica Seminar held on Cape Cod or nearby location for 16 years. So this
might give you a bit of an idea how I feel about using Leica cameras.

Of the 280,000 negative, and slides in the Ted Grant Photo Collection held
in the National Archives of Canada representing the largest collection of
images by a single photographer in the history of Canada. I'd venture to say
at least 85 to 90 % are from Leica cameras. And just down the street at The
National Gallery of Canada are another 100,000 documentary images that are
probably 95% Leica images. So what does that say about loyalty to a brand?

How many photographers, not collectors, do you know,  worked with 3 M latest
model bodies always hanging off their neck with three different lenses...
usually 21 , 35, & Noctilux? All loaded with the same film? And off the left
shoulder two motor driven R 8's with long & longer lenses. Then off the
right shoulder usually the 280 2.8 motor driven?

Nope not on every assignment, as that would be ridiculous, but on many when
lots of things were going on.
By the same token it maybe on another assignment an M under my tux out of
sight so I could unobtrusively shoot something cool at a $1000 a plate fund
raising or political or royalty event? Each assignment dictated what cameras
and how many.

But as Leica fell ridiculously behind the advent of digital and my clients,
as most other photojournalists, wanted "everything now!" Or almost before it
happened, film was useless if you wished to stay with the motion of the
times.

So I bought Canon digital gear, partly due to my Number 2 son Scott a
professiona sport photographer who's been a Canon user since the coming of
the A1? The auto everything Canon. So he was influential and clinched it
when he told me about adapters' to use my Leica glass. That was a major
factor in going Canon digital.

The DMR? No question a very fine piece of gear.... when its working and if
you can get it fixed if need be?

Because you see a few photos where I used a Canon does not make me an
unbeliever in Leica camera equipment and their incredible lenses. What I
have become completely disappointed in is the management of Leica, the
company for about the past 8 - 10 years. Yep I understand their economic
situation, but that was their own fault because sitting back there in
Germany still in the "world of the 30's, '40, '50's & 60's" the world blew
by them like they were standing still.

Hell they're still doing it today! The recent announcement of some deal with
the MAGNUM crew and giving them M9's to use in the field. Hell what field?
Sure in the long distant past when the world had but a few major magazines,
nearly no TV,  MAGNUM  was the KING of the hill top with a collection of
amazing photojournalists. They were the ones who travelled the world to the
trouble spots..... TODAY? A million iphones are there before the MAGNUM or
any other agency guy get's on the plane to fly in.

I trust this makes my point about appreciation of my Leica gear I have left.
Not much, but given I'm a one eyed old fart I am appreciating "auto focus as
I never did before." But my M8 goes every where with me day and night always
ready for whatever comes pictorial before me. Not a Canon.
cheers,
ted