Subject: [Leica] Some Cruise Ships
From: rgacpa at yahoo.com (Bob Adler)
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 15:28:32 -0800 (PST)

Well, the first image is terrific with the cloud mirroring the lines of the
ship
and the colors are fantastic.
The third image is amazing because you were able to fit that whole ship into
the
frame (even with a 21/28 that's quite a feat!). Great perspective shots of
the
size of these monsters.

The capture of the colors sky and water are wonderful. Did you use a
polarizing
filter?

Now onto the cruise industry. Last year my wife and I and my wife's sister
and
her husband went on a 10 day Med cruise, from Barcelona to various ports in
France, Italy, Greece, Turkey and ending in Venice. Each day at dawn we
would
enter a port. 2 days were at sea. It was one of these newer behemoths.

We had an absolutely fantastic time. The people watching was the best ever.
Arriving in ports every dawn and exiting every evening at sunset gave you a
view
that was unique in traveling. Watching the Istanbul straights awaken,
entering
the ancient port of Levorno, coming into Venice!!! The photography was just
exquisite.

My wife had never been to Europe. We checked in, unpacked and didn't have to
repack for 10 days. All the free softdrinks/soda water you could drink. All
the
food you could eat. Tacky entertainment every night. Up before dawn, asleep
by
10; every hour active.

You don't notice the people after awhile. We had balconies that were
complete
private with a view of the ocean. It was a lot more affordable than a
smaller
ship (of course) and certainly not as intimate, but it certainly isn't
something
to be poo pooed.

Images of the trip are here:
http://www.rgaphoto.com/2009-09-Cruise

I basically took one camera and 2 lenses (Canon 1DsIII, 24-105 and 70-200f4)
and
could have left the 70-200 behind...

So I guess it all depends on your outlook!
Best,
Bob (who'd love to go on another cruise)

 Bob Adler
Palo Alto, CA
http://www.rgaphoto.com