Subject: [Leica] was - important aspects, now B&W image?
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 08:57:21 +0530

Richard,
I do not agree with you. I think you are extrapolating your
preferences on all of us. The photographs/books that have influenced
me are mainly in colour, starting with Ernst Haas "The Creation" and
Eliot Porter's work a few decades ago.

Remember, also, that a photograph considered iconic by Americans, like
"Migrant Mother", and the rest of the FSA archive, which just happens
to be in B&W, have zero emotional impact for me (and probably 98% of
the world's population), I have seen far worse poverty with my own
eyes. These subjects have cars, they have clothes, they have a roof
over their heads! A lot of this "impact" of photographs is entirely
dependent on the cultural spectacles that you see them through...

Cheers
Jayanand