Subject: [Leica] New MacBook Air advice needed
From: jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 23:42:52 -0500

2010-12-31-20:37:48 Jim Laurel:
> One other drawback for us audio enthusiasts is that the Airs do not have
> optical audio output.  Not too big a problem since most modern DACs accept
> USB.  The drag is that one of my favorite little audio units for the
> desktop, the Peachtree iDecco, only accepts up to 16bit/48kHz via USB,
> while it will accept 24bit/96kHz over optical.  Not a big deal with
> regular CD material, but with 24/96 files, the difference in the sound is
> not subtle.

No problem.  If you really like the sound of the DAC in your iDecco,
you can get a high-rate and nicely low-jitter S/PDIF stream into it
with one of these:

  http://www.halidedesign.com/bridge/

(You'll have to use the coax input, not the Toslink, but that's a win
anyway.)

Just got one.  Sounds really nice feeding a Lavry DAC.  Much better
than the Toslink straight out of the Mac Pro.  And it does 88.2,
should you want it.  My mac's built-in digital output does 96, but not
88.2.

Message from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] New MacBook Air advice needed)
Message from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] New MacBook Air advice needed)
Message from jimlists at spectare.com (Jim Laurel) ([Leica] New MacBook Air advice needed)