Subject: [Leica] IMGS: Farewell 2010
From: jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 18:46:03 -0500

2010-12-31-18:26:19 Tina Manley:
> I got my computer back from Dell.  Very fast turnaround.  Too fast.
> The sound worked for about 10 minutes and then quit :-(

Ahh, that classic Dell quality!  Are you constantly on the move with
this laptop, or do you often settle down in a predictable place, a
place where you could leave some proper speakers to plug the thing
into?  Because you can get much better sound than laptop speakers will
give with a cheapish but high-quality outboard D/A converter (like one
of the HRT Music Streamer II models, for example)

http://www.amazon.com/HRT-Music-Streamer-II-Resolution/dp/B0038O4UFQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293838739&sr=8-1

with that gizmo's analog line outs plugged into some decent powered
computer speakers.  Or even better, whatever stereo you might already
have in the room.  One USB plug into the laptop, easy to connect and
disconnect.  And you just completely bypass the flaky builtin speakers.

 -Jeff

Replies: Reply from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] IMGS: Farewell 2010)