Subject: [Leica] New MacBook Air advice needed
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 10:17:13 -0500

My children gifted me with an iPad for my 80th birthday in July. It is a
wonderful toy for grownups and a technological achievement for Apple. I use
it for reading, surfing the web, email, as an instant TV guide, and playing
games but it isn't quite what I wanted for photographic work when traveling.
What I really wanted was a somewhat smaller and faster replacement for my
venerable 12" Powerbook. Perhaps a netbook sized computer but able to run
all the latest Mac and PC software. I've maxed out the memory of my 12"
Powerbook, replaced the HD with a 320 gb version, and loaded the bulletproof
OS 10.4.11 software. It runs Photoshop, MS Office and GraphicConverter just
fine. But the Powerbook is now seven years old and is showing definite signs
of age. The iPad screen is big and bright enough. The color is glorious. The
screen is even slightly bigger in area than the size of my first 128K Mac
screen. I used that one happily for several years and then my daughter used
it in college.

On a visit to the local Apple store I saw the new 11" and 13" MacBook Air
computers. The 11" model seems analogous to an iPad with a keyboard and able
to run OS X programs. I could use all my expensive legacy software on it and
delude myself into thinking it is really an economy measure. Unfortunately
all the salespeople at the store were in their 20s and had no knowledge of
Photoshop or the demands placed on a computer by image manipulation. One
even suggested that iPhoto, in the included software suite would be all that
I ever needed.

Does anyone on the LUG have experience using the 11" MacBook Air? Comments?

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] New MacBook Air advice needed)
Reply from john at chiaroscuro.co.nz (John McMaster) ([Leica] New MacBook Air advice needed)
Reply from mak at teleport.com (Mark Kronquist) ([Leica] New MacBook Air advice needed)