Subject: [Leica] NEW UP LOADS. NOW THE USSR BAD GUYS! ;-)
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 14:24:38 -0800

Nathan offered:

>>> Wonderful, Ted--I take it the Kyle is the Kyle who visited us 2 years
>>> ago? And I enjoyed seeing the Czech goal against the bastards. I
>>> remember that game, I was 9 years old and it was the year after the rape
>>> of Prague. We still lived in Poland and EVERYONE supported the Czechs
>>> and wished injury and worse on the Russians.<<<<<<

Hi Nathan,
Yes that's the grandson Kyle who stayed with you folks. :-) Thanks again for
the kindness.

I was the official photographer for the Canadian team and shooting as media
for a magazine, "SPORTS CANADA."

We went to Prague for a week for a couple of warm up games with the Czech
National team prior to Stockholm and the World's. One night in the hotel
about midnight my room mate, a wire service photog sharing the room. We had
a knock on the door and upon opening it was a drop dead georgeous female
dressed as a maid! Like WOW!!  :-) Who was supposed to prepare our bed?
Like it was midnight and we had to get out of bed to answer the door. But we
didn't need her "bed services" and shut the door.

The next morning at the team breakfast it seems we weren't the only media
related people who had the knock on the door. The Czech secret police held a
quiet private meeting for all non players with details.

It seems the USSR "bad guys" were trying to set-up any of those considered
part of the Candian group in some kind of "Blackmail bad boys" while
visiting the Czech capital to discredit the team and possibly throw them off
their game. Then the police went with us to our rooms and showed how the
rooms were wire-tapped. So anything we said could be recorded. Knowing this
for the next few days, my room mate photographer and I, must have burned out
the USSR agents ears with what we said about the USSR. But it was a fun
thing because we had the heads-up on the SOB's!
Probably not likely!  An imagined James Bond moment for every one. :-)

Besides this, we had a couple of guys who constantly turned up no matter
where we were wanting to exchange currency. Again part of trying to create
some kind of bad stories about our on the road behaviour! And all this
before we even got to Sweden for the championships. It was a time alright! !

cheers,
ted