Subject: [Leica] Helping others
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 14:11:28 -0500

What it does is reduce the value of photographer in the eyes of the users.
 If a magazine or webzine gets deluged with free photos from people who want
to see their name in print, they are likely to form the opinion that
photography is a valueless commodity.  With web usage measured in pixels
instead of inches, too often a photo is seen as "good enough".  It doesn't
have to be as good as one intended for print.  Similarly, I have seen the
prices paid for stock photography decline dramatically in the last ten
years.  A full-page photo in a textbook used to bring over $1000 for a one
time use.  Today you are lucky to get $100 for a ten year license for the
same size photo.  I blame micro-stock entirely for reducing the value of
stock photography.  Photographers who accepted 25 cents per download for
unlimited use of their photos ruined the stock photography business for
everybody.

Tina